1955 Dellow Mark V
Chassis # 402D555
The Dellow was produced in limited numbers between 1949 and 1956 by Dellow Motors and up to 1959 by a re-formed company known as Dellow Engineering Ltd. The name derived from the company founders, Ken Delingpole and Ron Lowe, who were sports car tuners and trials racing enthusiasts. Early Dellows achieved considerable trial racing success, winning the Daily Express Rally outright in 1952 and the Circuit of Ireland Trial twice. The Dellow used an A-frame chassis with a framework of lightweight tubes welded to it and covered by an aluminum body. The chassis was made partly from government surplus chrome-moly rocket tubes. The design emphasis was on light weight, rearward weight bias and good ground clearance for muddy trials competition. This example was sold new through the official Dellow importer, London Motors of Long Island, NY to Dr. Steven Reaume of Bethesda, MD who raced it extensively in hillclimb, autocross and road course competition in the U.S. In the late 1950’s, Dr. Reaume and two friends, including the Dellow’s current owner, created an informal three-car racing team, Scuderia Confusion, that included a Renault 4CV nicknamed Bothered, a Crosley Super Sport dubbed Bewildered and the Dellow named Bewitched. With the current owner, this Dellow entered but failed to finish the 1969 VSCCA race at Watkins Glen, but did complete the same event in 1974.
Weight: 1,300 lbs.
Acceleration 0-50: 13.3 seconds
Top Speed: 89 MPH
P.O.E. Price: $2,050
Ford 100E side-valve inline L-head four-cylinder, two SU semi-downdraft carburetors, 1172 cc displacement, 7.6:1 compression ratio, 36 horsepower @ 4400 RPM, 54 lb.-ft. torque @ 2150 RPM
Front-engine, rear-drive, 3-speed manual transmission, right-hand drive, mechanical front/rear drum brakes.
Aluminum alloy body on tubular frame
Front Suspension: Coil springs
Rear Suspension: Coil springs with stabilizer bar
Full Restoration completed in 2010 by Treasured Motorcar Services, Reisterstown, MD
Owner: Mr. Huntley Perry – The Mellow Dellow Fellow, Laytonville, MD