The Jupiter was produced in limited numbers between 1950 and 1953 by Jowett Cars LTD and was the second postwar model built by the company, following the Javelin sedan. Jupiter was first shown at the British Motor Show in New York in April 1950. It was announced as “the race-bred, high speed 3-seater” and in fact enjoyed some racing success: In its inaugural race outing, a lone Jupiter claimed a class victory at the Grand Prix d’Endurance at Le Mans in June 1950, averaging 75.8 MPH for 24 hours. Another Jupiter took class honors at the 1951 Monte Carlo Rally.
Approximately 46 Jowetts were sold in the U.S. in 1951. This example was imported by Max Hoffman on 19 March 1951. Its four known owners have all resided in Maryland. The current owner acquired the car, barely running, in 1972.
1951 Jowett Jupiter Chassis # E1SA100R
Two-door sport convertible, 2/3 passenger
P.O.E. Price: $2,548
#100 of 899 produced
Weight: 1,792 lbs.
Acceleration 0-60: 15 seconds
Acceleration ¼-mile: 20 seconds
Top Speed: 90+ MPH
Horizontally-opposed, overhead-valve four-cylinder, aluminum block with wet cast-iron cylinder liners and cast-iron head, hydraulic valve lifters, three main bearings. Two Zenith downdraft carburetors, 1486 cc displacement, 8.0:1 compression ratio, 60.5 horsepower @ 4500 RPM
Front-engine, rear-drive, 4-speed manual transmission, left or right-hand drive, Girling hydro-mechanical brakes with 10-inch drums.
Aluminum body on welded tubular frame, removable windshield, wind-up side windows, walnut dashboard.
Front Suspension: Independent torsion bars with Woodhead Monroe shock absorbers
Rear Suspension: Transverse torsion bars and Woodhead Monroe shock absorbers with anti-roll bar
Restoration completed 1996-2000 by Treasured Motorcar Services, Reisterstown, MD.
Owner: Huntley Perry, Laytonville, MD